Announcing community R workshops
A big part of why I’ve launched Locke Data is so that I can give back more to my communities. I want to give more time and more support to others. One of the first steps is doing some activities that give financial support to community groups without damaging my startup cashflow! Community R workshops that fund local user groups is the first activity I’ll be trialling.
Here’s what’s involved, and what you might want to consider if you’d like to be a part of this endeavour:
The guinea pig
My first community R workshop will be in Exeter, UK in March. The Logistic Regressions in R workshop will be an afternoon of practical hands-on training; building models from data selection to evaluation. After the workshop, I’ll then be doing a talk on data.table at the Data Science Exeter User Group.
After covering the room costs and my travel, all the funds will be going to the user group to cover costs for as long as the money will stretch.
- The training is low-cost for attendees. For Exeter, that means ~£50 for the afternoon per person, with a group discount available.
- I’m not sure how many of these I can do in a month, but I’m currently looking at just one a month for now.
- If you can get a free room, that will also lower costs considerably.
- It’s also probably the most practical in the UK, where large travel costs won’t be incurred so more money can go to the group.
Right now, I’m looking to make these “cookie-cutter” workshops so that I’ll be able to ramp up how many can be performed later. Workshop topics that can currently be selected are:
- SQL fundamentals
- Introduction to R
- Logistic regression in R
- Reproducible analysis in R
- Improving R data manipulation skills
- R package development
I’d be really interested to hear what people think about this endeavour, especially any past experiences trialling anything similar!
If you’re an R, data science, Microsoft Data Platform, or developer group who would like to do one of these paid workshops and user group talk combos, then please fill out this form to kick off the process.
[contact-form to=’firstname.lastname@example.org’ subject=’Community R workshop’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Target date range’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Location’ type=’text’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’/][/contact-form]